Committee on Committees
The purpose of the Committee on Committees is to compile a list of qualified candidates for those committee positions that will become open at the beginning of the President-Elect’s term as President. Members will work together to identify and recommend candidates to fill vacancies on the following committees: Distinguished Lecturer, Fellowship Admissions, Lindgren Award, Society Traveling Lecturers, and Student Affairs.
Committee Composition and Term:
The Committee on Committees shall consist of six members, including a Chair, selected by the President-Elect in consultation with the President, and subject to approval by the SEG Executive Committee. Committee members must be appointed by January 31 to serve until December 31.
Committee on Committee Chair Guidelines:
The Chair is responsible for the following:
- Obtain the Committee on Committee report and all other relevant correspondence from the previous Chair of the Committee on Committees.
- Provide each committee member with a copy of the guidelines, a copy of the report of the previous Committee on Committees and a list of the positions to be filled.
- Coordinate overall Committee activities and solicit recommendations from each Committee member to ensure a strong slate of nominees in accordance with SEG criteria and within the designated timeperiod.
- Maintain close liaison with the President-Elect during the candidate selection process regarding progress and potential candidates.
- Prepare and submit the final report to the President-Elect by September 15 of the year in which the President-Elect becomes President.
Committee on Committee Member Guidelines:
- Between February and July, the Committee will compile a list of one recommended candidate and one alternate candidate for each of the vacant committee positions. All Society Fellows, Members, and Student Members, in good standing, are eligible for committee assignments and should be given consideration. The previous year’s list of candidates considered, but not selected, should be a source for potential nominees. A preliminary list is prepared by the Committee for review by the President-Elect.
- The Committee should make every attempt to maintain a balance reflecting the general composition of Society membership among industry, academia, and government representatives on each committee. Prior to nomination, all proposed candidates must be contacted by the Committee to confirm their willingness to serve.
- In August, the candidates approved by the President-Elect are notified by the Committee Chair. They are requested to submit a one-page summary curriculum vitae (CV) to include citizenship, date of birth, academic background, employment history, professional society memberships, and previously held SEG positions to the Committee Chair. Alternate candidates are not contacted at this time.
- In order to obtain Council approval of the nominees on a timely basis, the Committee on Committees report, coupled with all nominee paperwork, must be presented to the President-Elect not later than September 15.
- Upon acceptance by the President-Elect, the report is forwarded to the Executive Director for distribution to the Council prior to the last SEG business meeting of the calendar year (presently GSA Annual Meeting—late October/November). In the event that council will not meet in the last quarter of the calendar year, the final report will be submitted to the Executive Committee to act for Council.
Critical Dates and Deadlines
- January 1: President-Elect assumes office.
- January 31: Committee on Committees members must be appointed by President-Elect to serve until December 31.
- February–July: Committee compiles list of candidates and alternates and presents to President-Elect.
- August: Candidates approved by President-Elect are notified by Committee Chair.
- September 15: Committee on Committees Report presented to President-Elect for acceptance.
- September–October: Report forwarded to Executive Director for distribution to Council.
- November: Following Council or Executive Committee approval, the President-Elect will notify the selected candidates by letter, advising them of their appointments, responsibilities, and terms commencing January 1.