Regional Vice Presidents and Country Correspondents Guidelines
Guidelines: Regional Vice President
The Bylaws of SEG state that the Vice President for Regional Affairs "shall encourage the activities by the Regional Vice Presidents appropriate to the objectives of the Society". Regional VPs are expected to actively promote the SEG by seeking ways to serve SEG members in each region, so that the benefit of membership is much more than just receiving the journal and newsletter. We also need to serve our profession in general, including the education of students and continuing training of professionals. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Seek opportunities to use the SEG organization, with its global reach and modest financial backing, to promote economic geology through national organizations, particularly those without specific economic geology groups.
- Help to organize and sponsor symposia at national meetings, and ensure these are advertised by SEG in the Newsletter.
- Look for opportunities to run appropriate short courses or field trips, particularly in conjunction with national or international meetings. Aim for impact, value and quality for money spent; we must set priorities.
- Report on SEG and other economic geology functions in your region twice annually to the VP for Regional Affairs for submission to Council meetings in February/March and September each year.
- Promote SEG and the benefits of membership at appropriate venues, particularly by organizing an SEG booth at national and international meetings. The SEG banner, plus information on SEG, membership forms, and publication order forms, is available from the Executive Director. A selection of recent SEG publications can be sent as sample copies, and these displayed at future events. Staff the booth with other SEG members attending the meeting or request local SEG Student Chapters to assist, if available.
- Help to establish SEG Student Chapters at universities with strong economic geology programs. The Student Affairs Committee awards funds twice annually on a competitive basis to assist Student Chapters with field trips.
- Advertise widely the availability of SEG Foundation Student Research Grants and Graduate Student Fellowships. Information and application forms for grants are available at the SEG website.
- Apply to the Secretary for SEG Traveling Lecturers for a lecturer to tour your region and lecture at academic institutions and professional gatherings. Note that these lecturers are in high demand and it may not be possible to obtain one in a given year.
- Submit a budget early in the year to the VP for Regional Affairs ahead of Council meetings in February and/or March. This budget should cover all planned activities in your region.
In turn, the responsibility of the Vice President for Regional Affairs is to keep all Regional Vice Presidents informed of all SEG Council decisions and other matters that are relevant to each region, to help coordinate activities and communication, and to fund as much as possible good ideas for SEG investment in each region. The Vice President for Regional Affairs allocates some funding for each region each year, as seed money for events, etc., and in the case of special meetings, a Regional VP may request more funding by applying to the Vice President for Regional Affairs.
Guidelines: Country Correspondents
A country representative system is under development to utilize SEG representatives in countries with economic geology activities. These representatives will liaise with their Regional VP, and will secure information on economic geology activities on a country basis, identify opportunities for SEG - such as participation in local meetings, and serve as intermediaries with local organizations. In turn, Regional VP's and SEG headquarters will have a point of contact with members in a given country. A key objective of this system is to ensure publicity and possible assistance to students with their applications, pertaining to the SEG Foundation's Student Research Grant and Graduate Student Fellowship programs.
Country Representatives will serve on an ad hoc basis as determined by the relevant Regional Vice President.
Critical Dates and Deadlines
||Submit report and budget to VP Regional Affairs
||Submit report to VP Regional Affairs
Last revision: March 2015