Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator
Note: Additional information can be found within guidelines for Short Course / Workshop Coordinator.
The Program Committee (PC) shall advise the Council as to programming in which the Society, through its members, contributes to the advancement of the profession and the interests of the membership. The PC is responsible for developing a revolving three-year plan of Society activities and for maintaining a close liaison with the coordinators for the various Society meetings and activities.
Committee Composition and Term
The PC shall consist of the Past Vice President, the Vice President (Secretary), the Vice President-Elect, the Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator, Short Course / Workshop Coordinator and all Meeting Coordinators. Each Coordinator, nominated by the Committee on Committees and ratified by Council, serves a two-year term from the time of selection through the completion of his/her program. The Past Vice President shall serve as Chair of the PC.
The Executive Director and Vice President for Regional Affairs shall be ex officio voting members of the PC.
The Vice President, Vice President-Elect, Past Vice President, and Vice President for Regional Affairs shall comprise a steering committee for the PC, to screen proposals for new programs, and to present selected recommendations to the full PC for discussion and action. The Program Steering Committee shall have discretionary authority over allocation of funding for small-scale program initiatives but must coordinate closely with the Executive Director.
Field Trip/Field Training Course Coordinator Guidelines
The Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator is responsible for organizing a field trip, field training course or field conference. A preliminary proposal should be presented at the PC meeting not less than 18 months in advance of the event. The PC likes to ensure good topic and geographic exposure. Field trips or conferences that are separate from the regular spring and fall SEG meetings are preferred. It is SEG policy that all field trips, field courses, and field conferences be accompanied by guidebooks or course books. The guidebook materials should be delivered to the SEG not later than 2.5 months in advance of the planned trip so they can be copyedited, printed, and delivered on time. The Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator must contact the Executive Director for guidelines on planning and budgeting.
As all SEG sponsored field trips must result in the production/publication of a guidebook or course book in the format of the Guidebook Series or CD-ROM, early contact with the SEG is highly recommended. If the field trip or conference is to be held in conjunction with an SEG meeting, the Field Trip/Field Training Course Coordinator is obliged to coordinate with the SEG Meeting Coordinator for that meeting.
In addition to the trip or conference description, advertising should include the number of places available, registration deadline, timing and amount of early payment required, and costs (approximate costs in the early stages are acceptable). These details must be submitted to the Executive Director for review and determination of an advertising schedule, e.g. SEG Newsletter, e-mail broadcast, etc.
Society Policy Regarding Seed Money, Support for Speakers, and Field Trip Leaders
Seed money is money for goods or services required to proceed with planning and making reservations. Seed money is on loan from the Society until revenue from registrations can be received, at which time seed money is repaid. Requests and documentation supporting the requests should be furnished to the PC twelve months prior to the meeting being planned. The PC will recommend, or not recommend to the Executive Committee that the requested support be granted. Once approved, application for the funds should be made directly to the Executive Director by the Field Trip/Field Training Course Coordinator.
Preliminary funding or "seed money" may be required to govern the cost of goods and services. Requests for funds should be reviewed by the PC and recommended to the Executive Committee. If approved, application must be made directly to the Executive Director and it may be necessary to establish a bank account in the name of SEG. If funds are supplied by the SEG Foundation (the Treasurer will identify those that are), records of all disbursements of Foundation funds must be provided to the Foundation for tax purposes.
Field Trip/Field Training Course Coordinator is selected approximately 26-30 months out. Make plans to attend the upcoming PC meeting.
- Meeting: approximately 24 months out: Newly appointed Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator attends first PC meeting.
- Between meetings approximately 20 to 24 months out: The newly appointed Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator should consider the concept for his/her field trip or conference in light of preceding events and guidance gained at the PC meeting so that they are not rehashes. The activity should be selected.
- Meeting approximately 20 months out: Prior to this meeting the Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator should:
- Inform Executive Director and Meetings Coordinator of the proposed event and request guidelines.
- Propose and get approval for the field trip or conference.
- Report on status of field trip planning.
- Plans for guidebooks/course books should be passed to the Executive Director.
- Meeting approximately 12 months out: Prior to this meeting the Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator should:
- Ensure advertising campaign has been arranged through the Executive Director.
- Submit outline of trip to PC.
- Document and gain approval for required funds.
- Submit outline of guidebook/course book to SEG.
- Submit advertising copy to SEG Newsletter Editor.
- Meeting approximately 8 months out: Prior to this meeting the Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator should:
- Submit advertising copy to SEG Newsletter Editor. (Last chance)
- Report on status of event. Indicate any changes since last meeting.
- Report status of registration.
- Contact SEG for approved funds and for information on insurance.
- Approximately 3-4 months out: Guidebook/course book/CD-ROM copy to SEG.
- Within one month of completion: The Field Trip / Field Training Course Coordinator should submit a brief (± one paragraph) summary report of the event to the PC Secretary for inclusion in the minutes. An article about the event should appear in the next possible SEG Newsletter.