Traveling Lecturers Committee
The Society Traveling Lecturers Committee (TLC) is responsible for soliciting nominations for the Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, International Exchange Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Lecturer positions as described in Article X, Section 10.1(f) of the SEG Bylaws. The Chair of the Society Traveling Lecturers Committee is the Vice President for Regional Affairs.
Committee Composition and Term
The Committee shall consist of at least eight members, including Coordinators, Regional Vice Presidents, and a Chair representing the main fields and geographic distribution of Society membership, with each member serving a three-year term. The Vice President for Regional Affairs (VPRA), as an ex officio member of the committee, shall serve as Chair. Eight members make up the Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer Sub-Committee and the International Exchange Lecturer Sub-Committee with two members also serving as Coordinators for each sub-committee. The Regional Vice Presidents make up the Regional Vice President Lecturer Sub-Committee with the Vice President for Regional Affairs as Coordinator.
Traveling Lecturers Committee Chair Guidelines
The Chair is responsible for the following:
- Oversee Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, International Exchange Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Sub-Committees' activities. Keep in close communication with Sub-Committee Coordinators to ensure that high-quality speakers are nominated and selected for lectureships and that no overlap exists in subcommittee candidate lists.
- Work closely with SEG headquarters and Traveling Lecturers Secretary to coordinate lecturer tours and to avoid lecture tour overlap. The VPRA also sits on the Program Committee. This allows close coordination of traveling lecturers with Program commitments (e.g., keynote speakers) to ensure the maximum benefit from traveling lecturers. For this reason, the VPRA will inform all traveling lecturer committee members of upcoming commitments, to help match lecturer to ongoing activities, where possible.
- Incorporate Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, International Exchange Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Lecturer Sub-Committee reports into the annual Vice President for Regional Affairs Report and submit to the Executive Director for Council review and approval.
Guidelines for Determining the Itinerary of SEG Traveling Lecturer Tours
The itinerary of each tour is based on the following criteria:
- Handle requests for speakers from SEG members, SEG Student Chapters, and SEG Regional Vice Presidents as well as other universities and organizations.
- Fulfill upcoming SEG Program commitments to provide keynote lecturers to meetings, etc.
- Balance the lecture tours among international membership locations.
- Match the interest and availability of each lecturer with available funds.
In many cases, SEG funding can be offset or stretched by procuring funds from other sources. In addition, we request, where possible, that the local host organization cover local expenses such as meals and accommodations. The Traveling Lecturers Secretary is responsible for coordinating the advertising of talks and the planning of itineraries. He/she can be contacted for more information.
Traveling Lecturers Committee Member Guidelines and Critical Dates
See Guidelines for Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer Sub-Committee, International Exchange Lecturer Sub-Committee, and Regional Vice President Lecturer Sub-Committee.
Last revision: February 2015