Traveling Lecturers Committee
The Society Traveling Lecturers Committee (TLC) is responsible for soliciting nominations for the Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, International Exchange Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Lecturer positions as described in Article X, Section 10.1(f) of the SEG Bylaws. The Chair of the Society Traveling Lecturers Committee is the Vice President for Regional Affairs.
International Exchange Lecturer Sub-Committee
Sub-Committee Composition and Term
The International Exchange Lecturer Sub-Committee consists of four members, including a Coordinator, with each to serve a three-year term. The Vice President for Regional Affairs is the Traveling Lecturers Committee Chair and oversees this sub-committee.
Sub-Committee Purpose and Function
The Sub-Committee annually solicits and receives nominations from its committee members and the Society membership-at-large for candidates to serve as International Exchange Lecturers. Lecturers shall be selected on the basis of widely recognized expertise in a field of economic geology, known competence as a public speaker, and the ability to represent the Society as an enthusiastic and effective ambassador. The International Exchange Lecturer shall lecture at sites selected on the basis of the greatest possible involvement of academic, industry, and government-based economic geologists. Committee members who provide nominations must declare any conflicts of interest. The Sub-Committee reviews, evaluates and ranks the nominations, and reports its recommendations, in ranked order, to the Chair of the Traveling Lecturers Committee. The Chair includes these recommendations in his/her report to Council upon which the Council reviews these recommendations and makes the final selection.
A call for International Exchange Lecturer nominations should be published in the April issue of the SEG Newsletter with the request that nominations be forwarded to the Coordinator of the Sub-Committee and SEG headquarters. The call may be repeated in subsequent e-mail broadcasts as well. The recommendations of the Committee, together with supporting data, should reach the Chair no later than August 15 each year.
It is strongly recommended that the committee submit to the SEG Council the names of at least two qualified candidates. If the recommended candidate is unable to serve as a Lecturer, the alternate will be selected.
When the Lecturers are selected and approved by Council, the Lecturers shall be notified by the Society. The lecture tour itineraries will be coordinated by the Traveling Lecturers Secretary in consultation with the Lecturers.
Specific Functions of the Coordinator and Chair
- Contact preceding coordinator of the IEL Sub-Committee to request a copy of the previous report along with files for eligible carryover candidates who were not selected.
- Ensure that no selections/recommendations are finalized before the nomination deadline date of July 15.
- Contact nominees to (1) ascertain their willingness to accept lectureship should they be selected by Council and (2) inquire about lecture topics.
- Ensure that recommendations and supporting documentation are adequate and complete, and that the Committee's report is forwarded to the Chair (VP for Regional Affairs) no later than the deadline date of August 15.
- Oversee the Society lecturer committees' (International Exchange Lecturer Sub-Committee, Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer Sub-Committee, and Regional Vice President Lecturer Sub-Committee) candidate short lists to avoid duplication of lecturer nominees.
- Liaise with SEG Awards Committee Chair and SEG Distinguished Lecturer Committee Chair to ensure no duplication of nominees.
- Ensure that there is widespread geographic distribution among all lecturer nominees.
- Send sub-committee recommendations and final report to Executive Director for Council agenda book.
Critical Dates and Deadlines
||Call for nominations; April SEG Newsletter copy deadline
||Traveling Lecturers Committee Secretary
||Solicit and receive nominations
||Coordinator to distribute nominations to committee
||Deliberation and selection
||Contact nominee(s) to ascertain willingness to accept lectureship
||Recommendations and report
||Coordinator to Chair
||Final report to Executive Director for Council agenda book
||Chair, Vice President for Regional Affairs
Documentation to Accompany International Exchange Lecturer Nominations
The following outline lists the information needed by the Committee, and provides a uniform basis for consideration of all nominees. This information should also be included in the final report to the Executive Director for the Council agenda book.
- Digital color photo (for website/newsletter announcement)
Last revision: February 2015