Benefits of Membership
The Society of Economic Geologists (SEG) is an international organization of more than 7,000 individual members that includes representatives from industry, academia, and government institutions. Annual meetings, publications, field conferences, and short courses ensure an active communication of economic geology-related concepts within the membership and with the economic geology profession at large. Members of SEG have access to a network of fellow explorationists—an invaluable asset in today’s rapidly changing employment market. In addition, members receive advance notice and discounted rates for hands-on field courses and publications that can enhance one's skill set and information base.
Membership in the Society is open to all geoscience graduates holding a bachelor’s degree. Student Members must be enrolled full-time in earth science at a degree-granting college or university at the undergraduate or graduate level. The semi-quarterly journal, Economic Geology, and the quarterly SEG Newsletter are included in the membership. Applicants should submit this form with the appropriate sponsor signature to the above address.
Professionals with a minimum of eight years experience and three years in a position of responsibility are encouraged to apply for Fellowship. Please download the Fellowship Application Form.
SEG will continue to offer annual fee-based access to scientific maps published in Economic Geology from 2000 to present through Geofacets. This intuitive interface enables an efficient assessment of a region’s geologic characteristics and mineral potential, and will serve as a strong complement to our existing archive of more than 9,000 articles of Economic Geology. The Geofacets-SEG Millennium Edition will operate similar to the Geofacets Corporate Version but with a select database of maps geared to the minerals industry. To learn more, visit www.segweb.org/geofacets.
Benefits for all Member Types
All members are eligible for discounts of at least 20% on the purchase of SEG publications, including electronic documents (e-docs), and significantly reduced registration fees (especially for students) at conferences, courses, and field trips sponsored by SEG. Members can keep informed of SEG news and events by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Geofacets Learn more.
- The benchmark journal, Economic Geology, with full access to the complete archive of 9,000 articles (from 1905). Content is optimized for mobile devices.
- The SEG Newsletter (from April 1990).
- The SEG Membership Directory (search by name or location).
- E-mail alerts for publication releases including Table of Contents for Economic Geology.
- Use your discounted pricing at the SEG Store containing a complete listing and description of SEG publications.
All new membership applications processed in the period September 1 to December 31 will have an effective date of the following January 1.
- Electronic Only: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter. [US $95/year]
- Electronic + Print Newsletter: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter as well as print copies of the newsletter by mail. [US $120/year]
- Electronic + Print Newsletter & Journal: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter as well as print copies of both publications by mail. [US $170/year]
Couples 2nd memberships are available. First member pays Electronic + Print Newsletter & Journal dues as above; second membership is Electronic Only. [US $35/year]
All student members must provide written documentation of full-time enrollment for the current academic year. Documentation may include one of the following: dated ID card that states "full time", dated fee statement, dated letter from advisor or university registrar. Applications will not be processed without proper documentation.
- Electronic Only: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter. [US $20/year]
- Electronic + Print Newsletter: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter as well as print copies of the newsletter by mail. [US $45/year]
- Electronic + Print Newsletter & Journal: Online access to Economic Geology and the SEG Newsletter as well as print copies of both publications by mail. [US $100/year]