Graduate Student Fellowship Fund
In 2006, the Board of Trustees of the Society of Economic Geologists Foundation (SEGF) established the Graduate Student Fellowship Program. This program provides fellowships to students who intend to pursue a course of study in economic geology leading to a Master of Science (M.Sc.) and/or Ph.D. degree, with preference given to those who will be entering graduate school following completion of a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree, or equivalent.
Students throughout the world with an expressed interest in pursuing graduate studies in economic geology are encouraged to apply and must meet the following requirements:
- Have completed, or are in the process of completing, a BS or equivalent degree in the geosciences or related fields.
- Have been accepted, or are in the process of being accepted, as a first year graduate student at a recognized college or university offering a graduate program leading to an M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. degree in economic geology as it relates to the study of mineral and ore deposits, geochemistry or geophysics with applications to minerals exploration and mine geology.
- Have manifested a strong interest in the study of economic geology as it relates to mineral and ore deposits, geochemistry, or geophysics with applications to minerals exploration and mine geology, or in a discipline directly related to the field of economic geology.
- Must be an SEG student member, or have applied for SEG student membership.
- For more information on applying for an award, visit the Graduate Student Fellowship Program page.
The SEGF allocated US$200,000 to establish the program and has continued to expand it with the support of mining and minerals exploration companies. Individual Fellowship awards range up to US$15,000. From inception through May 2011, with first awards in 2007, a total of US$783,515 has been awarded to 86 students representing 28 universities in 12 countries worldwide.
Contributing to the Graduate Student Fellowship Fund
Visit the contribution page.