Student Field Trip Fund
In July 2006, the Board of Trustees of the Society of Economic Geologists Foundation (SEGF) established the Student Field Trip Program. The concept, as distinct from existing SEG Student Chapter funding, arose at the SEG 2006 Conference held in Keystone, Colorado, in response to a student petition to provide more support for field trips to important mining districts. (More than 100 students from around the world attended the Conference, with generous support from industry sponsors.) The petition was enthusiastically received, resulting in the establishment of a "student field trip fund" and pledges totaling $30,000 to start the fund. The key elements of the program are as follows:
- The SEGF annually supports two SEG-organized field trips to major mining districts around the world by providing funding to subsidize student participation on the field trips.
- The objective will be to cover the bulk of the costs (transportation and lodging) for the students, so that the personal cost to a student will be relatively inexpensive. (The amount of funding for an individual trip may be increased where transportation [air fares] to distant locations will be more expensive.)
- Participation will be limited to 20 students. Depending on circumstances, representatives from Industry may also accompany the trip.
- Students, regardless of where in the world they are located, are eligible and encouraged to participate on these field trips. SEG will strive for broad geographic representation on each trip. In the selection of participants, strong preference will be given to SEG Student Members.
- The field trips will be organized and led by SEG members with appropriate experience and recognized expertise in the geology of the mining districts included in the field trips. Appropriate arrangements will be made with the individual mines being visited for access and to assure availability of mine geology personnel to interact with students.
- For more information on applying for an award, visit the Student Field Trip Program page.
Since the program was established in 2006, with the first student field trip held in January 2007, a total of 8 students field trips have been held through May 2011. To date, the SEGF has provided US$215,000 to 121 students from 61 universities in 20 countries worldwide to participate in this program.
Contributing to the Student Field Trip Fund
Visit the contribution page.