Student Research Grants (SRG)
The SEG Foundation (SEGF) and the SEG Canada Foundation (SEGCF) have provided Student Research Grants (SRG) since at least 1999. Individual grants are for one year and typically range from US $1,000 to US $5,000. These grants support graduate student research projects leading to master's or doctoral degrees, and exceptional BS Honors or "BS Titulo" projects. Students in mineral resource study programs throughout the world are eligible and encouraged to apply.
Apply for SEG student membership | Apply for an SRGInformation at bottom of page.
The SRG application submission deadline is February 15, 2017
. Preference will be given to those applicants who are SEG Student Members. Inquiries may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous SRG Recipients
2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010
Grants have been awarded from the following funds. Click to learn more.
Newmont Mining Corporation Student Grant
The Newmont Mining Corporation Student Grant supports research projects worldwide related to the geology, mineralization, and metallogeny of gold deposits. Emphasis is placed on research with a strong field component, with funding available for directly related laboratory work.
- Awards are intended to fund specific expenses related to student research projects leading to advanced degrees.
- Awards are competitive and based upon project merit and qualification of the applicant.
- Applicants must describe what the project is; why the research is important, and how it is to be done.
- An estimate of expenses for the project must be included with the application.
- Grants are expected to be fully utilized by the end of the year in which they are dispersed.
- Grant recipients are required to provide a year-end accounting of how the funds were spent together with a suitable progress report or final abstract.
- Applicants requesting financial support from the Alberto Terrones L. Fund for non-research expenses must include a statement describing the need and purpose of such request.
- Applications may be submitted for any one of the awards, but will be considered for all awards.
- Applicants who apply for and are awarded a current calendar year GSF Grant will be deemed ineligible for the current calendar year SRG.
How to Apply
Follow the steps below to complete the application process:
- SRG Application (Part 1)Open PDF in new window.
Download for policies and procedures to the application process.
- SRG Application (Part 2)Open PDF in new window.
Must be downloaded and completed by the student and emphasizes the topic, objectives, plans for the proposed research, and the background of the applicant. It should be e-mailed with any necessary attachments (permission letters, etc.) to email@example.com as well as to the Appraisal of Applicant who will be completing Part 3. For further guidance, read the SRG guidelines and view an exampleOpen PDF in new window. of a completed form.
- SRG Application (Part 3)Open PDF in new window.
Required evaluation to be completed by the Appraisal of Applicant (Academic Adviser or faculty member familiar with the applicant's qualifications and significance of the research) and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to confidentiality, the completed academic appraisal should not be sent to the student.