Evolution and Application of Technology in Economic Geology
Exploration and Technology Webinar Series
Join SEG for a free discussion series that will provide participants with an open forum for interaction with industry experts as they explore the evolution and application of innovative technologies within economic geology. This year-long series will provide students and early career geoscientists with an opportunity to further their understanding of relevant topics such as geologic modeling, machine learning, and the future of career paths within the exploration industry. The goal of this webinar series will be to educate and update geologists on the most meaningful ways to leverage technology to connect the fundamentals of economic geology with the critical need to solve tomorrow's complex problems.
Panelists will review their unique career paths, provide engaging discussion on relevant concepts, and host "mini lessons" related to key technology themes. And for those looking to further the discussion beyond the webinars, this series will also provide additional reference materials and opportunities to connect with like-minded professionals throughout the year.
Understanding the importance of geologic modeling fundamentals and the effectiveness of specific types of modeling methods
How technology is best leveraged to enable exploration geologists to make robust and accurate interpretations of the geologic data collected
Practical applications for how machine learning and big data science are being used in different aspects of economic geology and the mining supply chain
Consider the ethical side of increased technology use and the importance of implementing quality control standards and best practices
Discuss and explore current and future career paths within economic geology by leveraging technology to be successful while facing the challenges of the future
Guidance and feedback from industry professionals who have a passion for their respective industries and hope to share their wisdom with the next generation of geoscientists
Edith Newton Wilson
Rock Whisperer LLC
Edith, founder and owner of Rock Whisperer, consults on renewable energy and climate mitigation. She is a Fellow of SEG and the Geological Society of London, a member of the AGU, and serves on multiple community boards. Edith holds a BA from Dartmouth and a PhD from Johns Hopkins. Read more...
- Key roles that economic geology will play in assuring access to reliable, affordable, sustainable and modern energy for a global population
- Building sustainable energy supply chains in the coming decade – exploration, production, and refining of critical minerals and resources
- Pace of adoption of energy storage of renewable energy and market demand development
- Evolving trends in supplying critical minerals, including - metal recycling, urban mining, developments in battery technology, LCA carbon foot printing of mining and manufacturing
- Guidance and feedback from industry professionals who have a passion for their respective industries and hope to share their wisdom with the next generation of geoscientists