Executive Director Position
Society of Economic Geologists, Inc.
The SEG seeks applications worldwide from highly motivated and well-qualified persons to fill the leadership role of Executive Director by no later than January 1, 2023.
The Executive Director will lead the SEG into its second century, increasing its impact and developing a broad and diverse membership. The ideal candidate will provide leadership of a society grounded in technical excellence and focused on mineral resources. The position is multifaceted and offers an opportunity for those seeking a key role in a professional organization centered on science with implications for human society.
The Executive Director is responsible for SEG's strategic initiatives in support of the Society's goals. The director provides oversight of SEG's organizational structure, including management of SEG's operations, headquarters, and staff. Excellent communication and collaboration skills combined with cultural sensitivity are vital. The successful candidate adopts innovative solutions to challenges, collaborates with other societies and is committed to advancing equity diversity and inclusion.
- Strategic Growth – Investigate, develop, and recommend to the SEG Executive Committee/Council strategic alliances with other organizations and institutions worldwide.
- Program Management – Administer SEG programs in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Financial – Establish and implement financial plans and controls.
- Personnel – Select, develop, and maintain a qualified and diversified staff.
- Member Services – Research, develop, and deliver educational services and products.
- Foundation Relationships – Work with the SEG Foundation’s President regarding financial matters.
- Committee and Volunteer Leadership – Ensure that volunteer positions and committee members are selected, properly guided, and supplied with necessary resources. This includes succession planning for volunteers.
- Marketing – Ensure that members, non-SEG professionals, and other organizations are aware of SEG's services and publications.
- Publications – Produce high quality publications on a timely basis at reasonable cost.
- Facility Management – Ensure that SEG's facilities are efficiently and effectively managed, properly maintained, and that safety/security standards are met.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and public speaking experience.
- Strategic thinking and innovative approaches.
- Ability to collaborate at multiple levels.
- Empowers others to take initiative.
- Culturally sensitive and able to work with diverse membership with disparate interests.
- Effective conflict resolution skills.
- Extremely organized.
- Committed to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Degree in geosciences or business management is desirable.
- Proven managerial experience at increasing levels of responsibility:
- Budgeting, financial planning and control.
- Personnel management.
- Resourceful financial management.
- Outstanding business acumen.
- Working knowledge of publishing desired.
- Strong communications strategy experience (web, email, social media, etc.).
- Leadership experience initiating new programs and providing resources for long term success.
- Understanding of public relations.
Littleton, Colorado, USA
Annual Salary Range
$180,000 to $250,000
These comprise a generous competitive package including relocation expenses; details are available upon request.
Interested candidates should submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include an updated resume/CV and a cover letter.
SEG actively promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion and strongly encourages applicants from under-represented groups in the geosciences and related fields. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.