Access at GSW Sign up for alerts
The journal, now published semi-quarterly, was first published in 1905 by the Economic Geology Publishing Company (PUBCO), a not-for-profit company established for the purpose of publishing a periodical devoted to economic geology. On the founding of SEG in 1920, a cooperative arrangement between PUBCO and SEG made the journal the official organ of the Society, and PUBCO agreed to carry the Society's name on the front cover under the heading "Bulletin of the Society of Economic Geologists". PUBCO and SEG continued to operate as cooperating but separate entities until 2001, when the Board of Directors of PUBCO and the Council of SEG, by unanimous consent, approved a formal agreement of merger. The former activities of the PUBCO Board of Directors are now carried out by a Publications Board, a new self-governing unit within SEG.