Student Chapter Virtual Field Trip Competition
SEG and the University of Toronto SEG Student Chapter would like to invite all SEG Student Chapters to participate in the inaugural global Virtual Field Trip vlog competition.
This competition will encourage chapters to create short virtual economic geology videos and share them with their fellow members worldwide, creating a truly global contest that will showcase an amazing range of diverse geologic sites. In this way, students will be able to visit exciting geological locations virtually, that otherwise they might never have been able to travel to, all the while connecting and collaborating with their SEG student community.
How does the competition work?
- SEG Student Chapters are encouraged to visit an interesting local outcrop, geological feature, historic area, or mine site close to their home university and produce a brief 6-minute educational video explaining how it is significant to the field of economic geology. Please include:
- Chapter team introduction and location
- Key geologic site(s)
- Brief explanation of the geological history and context
- Significance in the field of economic geology
- Plenty of creativity!
- Include a short written summary of the above criteria in 350 words or less with your vlog submission.
- Submit your completed vlog by Friday, July 30, 2021 for an opportunity to win up to US$3,000 for your chapter and also to be prominently featured in an up-coming issue of SEG Discovery.
- Check out other chapters' vlog submissions and virtually explore the growing video archive of economic geology field trips from around the globe!
Winning submissions will be showcased at the SEG 100 Conference in Whistler this September, where winners will be announced and prizes will be awarded. In addition to the top three monetary prizes, there will also be a US$500 cash prize awarded to the winner of a popular vote that will be held during the SEG 100 Conference.
How do I enter the competition?
It's easy — visit the link below to view the full contest guidelines for chapters, then assemble your team and start exploring the economic geology potential in your local region. The final deadline for submissions is Friday, July 30, so grab those field boots and get to work!
Please review the guidelines for the full list of competition rules, prize details, and how to submit an entry. If you have additional questions that are not answered in the competition guidelines or need additional information, please email Duncan Proctor at email@example.com.
Stewart R. Wallace Funding
The Stewart R. Wallace Fund has been updated to allow for 2021 Round 1 awarded funds to be applied towards this vlog competition. Chapters that have previously awarded unused (2020) SRW funds may also apply to reallocate SRW funds towards this competition.
If you wish to apply for new SRW funds, or reallocate previously awarded unused SRW funds to support a Virtual Field Trip entry, please visit the link below for more information.