Regional Vice President Lecturer Sub-Committee
The Society Traveling Lecturers Committee (TLC) is responsible for soliciting nominations for the Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, International Exchange Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Lecturer positions as described in Article X, Section 10.1(f) of the SEG Bylaws. The Chair of the Society Traveling Lecturers Committee is the Vice President for Regional Affairs.
Composition and Term
The Sub-Committee shall consist of the Vice President for Regional Affairs, as Coordinator, the Regional Vice Presidents, and the Chair of the Society Traveling Lecturers Committee, who shall be an ex officio voting member. Each committee member will serve a three-year term.
Purpose and Function
The Sub-Committee annually solicits and receives nominations from its committee members (the Regional Vice Presidents). Lecturers shall be selected on the basis of widely recognized expertise in a field of economic geology, known competence as a public speaker, and the ability to represent the Society as an enthusiastic and effective ambassador. Lecturers shall give a series of lectures within the Society Regions in which the lecturers reside, and the lectureships shall alternate among the various Regions. Committee members who provide nominations must declare any conflicts of interest. The Sub-Committee reviews, evaluates and ranks the nominations, and reports its recommendations, in ranked order, to the Coordinator & Chair of the Traveling Lecturers Committee. The Chair includes these recommendations in his/her report to Council upon which the Council reviews these recommendations and makes the final selection.
It is strongly recommended that the committee submit to the SEG Council the names of at least two qualified candidates. If the recommended candidate is unable to serve as a Lecturer, the alternate will be selected.
When the Lecturers are selected and approved by Council, the Lecturers shall be notified by the Society. The lecture tour itineraries will be coordinated by the Traveling Lecturers Secretary in consultation with the Lecturers.
Specific Functions of the Coordinator and Chair
(For this sub-committee only, the Coordinator and Chair is the same person, the Vice President for Regional Affairs)
Coordinator and Chair:
- Review last year's final report to Council along with files for eligible carryover candidates who were not selected.
- Oversee the Society’s lecturer sub-committees' (International Exchange Lecturer, Thayer Lindsley Visiting Lecturer, and Regional Vice President Lecturer) candidate short lists to avoid duplication of lecturer nominees.
- Liaise with SEG Awards Committee Chair and SEG Distinguished Lecturer Committee Chair to ensure no duplication of nominees.
- Ensure that there is widespread geographic distribution among all lecturer nominees.
- Ensure that no selections/recommendations are finalized before the nomination deadline date of July 15.
- Contact nominees to (1) ascertain their willingness to accept lectureship should they be selected by Council and (2) inquire about lecture topics.
- Ensure that recommendations and supporting documentation are adequate and complete. Send sub-committee recommendations and final report to Executive Director for Council agenda book.
Critical Dates and Deadlines
|February - July 15
||Regional VPs submit nominations
||Committee to Coordinator/Chair
||Coordinator/Chair to distribute nominations to committee
||Deliberation and selection
||Contact nominee(s) to ascertain willingness to accept lectureship
||Final report to Executive Director for Council agenda book
||Chair, Vice President for Regional Affairs
Documentation to Accompany Regional Vice President Lecturer Nominations
The following outline lists the information needed by the Committee, and provides a uniform basis for consideration of all nominees. This information should also be included in the final report to the Executive Director for the Council agenda book.
- Digital color photo (for website/newsletter announcement)
Last revision: February 2015